to the 2013 Edition
COMPUTER CLUB OF GREEN VALLEY
Thirteen years ago Brad Brooks chaired a committee of six to revise the Policies Manual, which had been established ten years earlier. To echo what he wrote then, "Since the last update of this manual, the club has grown in size, scope and vision. Many of the old policies and procedures were hopelessly out of date." This is again a fact in 2013.
The biggest change in the Computer Club of Green Valley (CCGV) since 2001 is the establishment of our current generous and efficient facilities. We've also seen significant evolution of both hardware and software, as well as an expanded education program, which is the most important function of our Club. New challenges are being faced in terms of tablet computers and smart phones which were not dreamed of thirteen years ago.
The Manual is a supplement to the CCGV Bylaws; a guide for Club operation in greater detail. As policies or committee structures change, the Manual can be updated without requiring bylaw revision. Similar to a "wiki" product, the accuracy and value of this Manual is maintained by the nurturing care of the contributors, mainly the Club Officers and Committee Chairs.
This edition of the Manual does not redundantly include related documents readily available on the CCGV website, under Club Documents: CCGV CONSTITUTION, CCGV BYLAWS, CCGV SHOP RULES and GVR CODE OF CONDUCT
Thanks to all the Club volunteers for ensuring that CCGV continues to offer its members such a rich environment for keeping current with the digital world.
Dick Ramette, CCGV President 2010-2013
DUTIES OF OFFICERS
Each Officer has the annual duty to review and update when needed the appropriate sections of this Policy Manual.
1. Preside over general, special and Board meetings of CCGV.
2. Shall appoint committee chairpersons, with majority approval by the Board.
3. Prepare and distribute agendas to the CCGV board before board meetings.
4. Approve requests for expenditures for Club-related activities and equipment.
5. Communicate with Green Valley Recreation (GVR) for space and time for CCGV meetings, for facilities repairs, and other matters pertaining to Club operation.
6. Attend the annual GVR Club Workshop.
7. Prepare updated material for “Club Connections” of GVR's Keeping Current, unless another member is designated.
8. Prepare "President's Column" for issues of Green Bytes (optional).
9. Visit club facilities regularly to observe club activities.
10. Serve as CCGV "contact person."
Vice President shall:
1. Assist President in organization and operation of club facilities and programs.
2. Perform all duties of the President in the President's absence.
3. Chair the Membership Meeting Committee.
1. Take minutes of regular and special meetings of the membership and the CGV Board of Directors. Shall file copies of the minutes in an appropriate location.
2. Distribute draft copies of minutes to all Board members prior to the next Board meeting.
3. Write any letters the President designates.
4. Submit a summary of each board meeting to the editor of Green Bytes.
1. Chair the Budget Committee.
2. Use a standard method of keeping financial records.
3. Keep proper books of accounts and submit the CCGV books to the Auditing Committee when requested.
4. Disburse funds as directed by the Board of Directors.
5. Comply with GVR Club Organization Rules and Regulations.
6. Insure proper documents are completed to allow authorized CCGV personnel to sign checks.
7. Prepare and submit to GVR the required annual inventory of Club property
8. Complete and file tax and other required forms.
The President shall appoint Chairs of all committees. The Chair of a committee may recruit any number of CCGV members to assist with the committee's functions.
Each Committee Chair has the annual duty to review and update, when needed, the appropriate sections of this Policy Manual.
Green Bytes Committee shall:
1. Have a chair who is the editor of Green Bytes newsletter.
2. Be responsible for the publication of Green Bytes, a newsletter for members which is published at least nine times each year by CCGV.
3. Distribute Green Bytes to the membership by email on or before the first day of each month, September to May..
4. Have full discretion to change format, edit, include or exclude any submitted material in the Green Bytes.
Website Committee shall:
1. Be responsible for the creation and maintaining of the CCGV's internet site, www.ccgvaz.org, an informational site for members and prospective members.
2. Have a chairperson, who shall be the designated Webmaster.
3. Have full discretion to change format, edit, include or exclude any submitted material from the website.
Library Committees, PC and MAC, shall:
1. Establish loan policies for all CCGV property including the items to be loaned, length of time an item may be checked out, an allowable extension, and any monetary payment due.
2. Prepare all CCGV loanable property items for checkout and storage.
3. Set up check-out and check-in procedures for loanable CCGV property that can be handled easily by members and monitors.
4. Establish procedures for the Monitors' Manual containing directions as to how all CCGV property shall be checked in and out and stored.
5. Maintain a storage system for CCGV property that will enable Club members to easily locate available items for loan.
6. Determine which donated items, under guidance of the Maintenance Committees, will be accepted into the CCGV property collection.
7. Periodically, at least once a year, review CCGV property and remove outdated and unused items
Education Committee shall:
1. Evaluate requests from volunteers for permission to offer classes
2. Support approved classes with its Software Maintenance Committee, who shall install the necessary software on classroom computers. Support for projectors shall come from the Hardware Maintenance Committee.
3. Monitor schedules for courses, workshops and Special Interest Group meetings and published information for possible errors or problems
4. Provide instructors with guidelines for setting up a class
5. Arrange course registrations that are deemed necessary, using EventBrite on the CCGV web site
6. Arrange for regular emails to all Club members listing offered classes.
Monitor Committee shall:
1. Recruit, train and maintain a roster of CCGV monitors such that two monitors are assigned in the reception area, and one in the MAC Room during open hours.
2. Establish a monthly list of substitute monitors.
3. Maintain a Monitors' Manual to explain policies and procedures to be followed.
4. Provide CCGV membership name tags for monitors.
Membership Committee shall:
1. Keep current records of the organization's membership. Shall prepare and submit to GVR the required Club roster of members.
2. Process member registrations and renewals.
3. Arrange and chair a January Appreciation Luncheon for all CCGV volunteers.
4. Send informational emails to members regarding meetings and announcements.
Membership Meeting Committee shall:
1. Arrange activities and guest speakers for the regular membership meetings.
Hardware Maintenance Committee shall:
1. Maintain Windows computers and supplemental hardware. Shall inventory, make repairs, replacements and upgrades as necessary.
2. Maintain the local area network, internet interface, projectors, printers and other computer infrastructure components in support of Club activities.
3. Recommend the purchase of new equipment.
4. Advise the Board of Directors on matters regarding hardware and system software.
PC Software Maintenance Committee shall:
1. Be composed of two co-chairs.
2. Inventory all PCs that CCGV operates in the Club.
3. Make available such inventory to the Hardware Maintenance Committee, the Education Committee, the CCGV President, and others as needed.
4. Maintain a reference notebook with copies of the inventory to be made available for the monitors' use in aiding members to locate a computer with the software they may need to use.
5. Contact instructors and facilitators as to their specific participation in classes and SIG groups.
6. Contact instructors and facilitators to assess their software needs.
7. Assign assign a person to make the necessary purchases of requested and approved software.
8. Work with the Hardware Maintenance Committee to arrange for installation of software.
9. Continue backup of the computers under the direction of the Hardware Maintenance Committee.
10. Record the storage location of the original CD/DVD's will be kept in the event a program needs to be reinstalled.
Mac Maintenance Committee shall:
1. Maintain current Macintosh. computers and supplemental hardware inventory, making repairs where possible.
2. Recommend purchases of additional and replacement of Macintosh equipment.
3. Advise the Board of Directors on any questions regarding hardware and software for Macintosh computers.
4. Install and maintain the operating systems and software on the Macintosh computers in the club inventory.
Digital Photography Committee shall:
1. Provide members training and sets of instructions on use of hardware and software for digitizing photos and slides, converting video tapes to digital format and recording to DVDs, and converting records and cassette tapes to digital format and recording to CDs.
2. Perform routine maintenance on slide projectors, VCRs and associated equipment, and inkjet printers, ensure stocks of ink and other supplies are kept on hand, and coordinate other maintenance with the Hardware Maintenance Committee.
3. Research, purchase and request installation of high quality PC monitors, manage use of monitor calibrators by members, and calibrate PC monitors, coordinate monitor and color inkjet printing, and provide instructions for managed printing with club PCs.
4. Research improvements and replacements for equipment and software and coordinate procurement, installation and maintenance with the Hardware Maintenance Committee and Software Maintenance Committee.
Purchasing Committee shall:
1. Maintain an inventory of materials needed for CCGV operation.
2. Purchases items used for door prizes at membership meetings.
Nominating Committee shall:
1. Have a chair appointed by the President in May. The chair may appoint up to two more members to the committee.
2. Prepare a slate of nominees for election to the Board of Directors. The slate may include more nominees than there are Board openings.
3. Present the nominees at the October membership meeting.
4. Arrange for brief bios and photos of nominees to be sent to the Editor of Green Bytes for publication in the November issue.
5. Arrange for ballots, if necessary, for election at the November membership meeting.
Budget Committee shall:
1. Be chaired by the Treasurer and consist of the incoming Treasurer, if applicable, and at least two other members appointed by the Treasurer.
2. Form in September to prepare a budget for the upcoming fiscal year.
Auditing Committee shall:
1. Be appointed by the President to audit the CCGV's financial records.
2. Not permit Board members to serve on of this committee.
3. Be formed annually or when deemed appropriate.
OTHER CCGV POLICIES
The CCGV web site shall have a links to Club documents, including the Constitution, Bylaws, Policies Manual, Monitors Manual, and Historical Club records.
At membership meetings, proposals presented by the Board shall be discussed. Amendments may be offered, and discussed, and may be evaluated by straw votes, but not officially amended. The original proposal shall then be approved or disapproved by membership vote. If disapproved, it is returned to the Board for further consideration.
Membership meetings shall be held at 1:30 p.m. on the third Tuesday of October, November, December, January, February, March and April. The Board of Directors may add, cancel or reschedule meetings to accommodate facilities availability, speaker schedules, and other factors identified by the Board.
During the months of November, December, January, February, March and April, the Club shall be open from 8:00 a.m. through 4:00 p.m., Mondays through Friday, and 8:00 a.m. through 12:00 p.m. on Saturdays.
During the months of May through October, the Club shall be open from 8:00 a.m. through 12:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.
The Club does not provide software or hardware service to members, although monitors and maintenance personnel will do their best to answer questions. More extensive "help for hire" at home is available for both PC and MAC from persons listed on a sheet available on the monitor's bulletin board.
CCGV PERSONNEL 2013
President Dick Ramette
Vice President Mike Kearns
Secretary Eleanor Blumenschein
Treasurer Jerry Ferris
BOARD MEMBERS AT LARGE
Green Bytes Eleanor Blumenschein
Website Eleanor Blumenschein, Claire Amato
Library – PC/MAC Terry Flanagan / Gary Logan & Claire Amato
Education Bob Ogus, Marge Clark
Monitor Mike Kearns
Membership Mike Kearns, Jerry Wallin, Jerry Ferris, Terry Flanagan
Membership Meeting Don Coon
Hardware Maintenance John Robertson, Don Coon, Doug McIntyre, Herb Andrews, Rick Blackmar, John Sunier
PC Software Maintenance Diane Serek, Kathy Frey
Mac Maintenance Robby Robinson, Brad Brooks
Digital Photography Jud Richardson, Kathy Frey
Purchasing Ernie Cox
Nominating Jud Richardson, Mike Kearns
Budget Jerry Ferris
Help For Hire PC: Kathy Frey, Lee Laughner, Marcy Nathan, Lee Corless
Mac: Brad Brooks
Policies Manual Dick Ramette